Mark your calendars – Genius Hour Open Expo is next week!

This term in Year 5 & 6, students have started a new and exciting type of learning called Genius Hour.

In Genius Hour, students choose what they want to learn, and how they wish to present their projects. Students have found it very exciting to be able to investigating topics that they are most interested in.

On Wednesday the 18th of September, we will be having a Open Expo at 2:15pm to 3:15pm where all other students and teachers who are not in 5 & 6 can come in and see all of our projects. We will be showing you what we have been learning about, and we can’t wait to share this with you. We would also love to have as many parents as possible!

For the expo, the 5/6 area will be divided into themes or sections where projects will be grouped according to their topics. The sections for our expo are:

• Health
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Computer Science
  • Environment
  • The Arts
  • Science & Technology

Below you can see these sections on a map of the 5/6 building:

We hope to have as many students, teachers and parents as possible to come so that we can share our learning with everyone!

Students in 5/6, are you looking forward to sharing your projects at the expo?

Parents, will you be coming to the expo?

This entry was posted in #GeniusHour. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Mark your calendars – Genius Hour Open Expo is next week!

1. Angel says:

Hi bloggers,

I can’t wait to share my project to the school community.
    My group is happy that we are sharing our projects
    because we get the opportunity to show what we have
    been learning and most importantly, we show how much
    effort we’ve put in to our work. My parents are probably gonna
    come to see what I’ve done. I’ve got full support from classmates
    and teachers and I’m glad that we are doing this for our learning.
    Looking forward to everyone’s projects 🙂 🙂 🙂

Bye from Angel 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Mary-Anne says:

Hi Angel,
      I totally agree, being able to have so many people seeing each students work is going to be so much fun. Rachael and I have been working on our shirt we’re going to present and it looks pretty good at the moment but we are still working in progress! So many people will see our projects and it’s going to be a jam-packed day. Presenting to our class, then having the expo on the next day! We still have quite a few more projects that are a part of our main topic but unfortunately we haven’t finished yet, I’m hoping we’ll be able to finish them. The main idea of my project with Rachael is based on art and fashion. It will be so amazing what others will have to show on the day. Can’t wait to see most of the students Genius Hour projects!
      Bye, from Mary-Anne! 🙂

2. Cassie says:

Hi Angel,

I also can’t wait to show our project at the Genius Hour expo day I hope this inspires other people.
    I read there is going to be a mystery school, I can’t
    wait see you there!!! 😛

Bye!!

• Angel says:

Hi Cassie,

Me too, I can’t wait for the expo day to show our project.
      Fingers cross for the expo day, I wonder about the mystery
      class? 🙂

Bye from Angel, 🙂

3. Paige says:

Dear fellow bloggers,
    It’s me again!!
    Genuis Hour is so awesome! If you don’t go to my school and you aren’t in 5/6 you are missing out on so much fun. But if you want to see them you can’t come to my school but all the projects will be on the blog. I have heard of some of the projects are they sound really cool!

From Paige

• Abby says:

Hi paige,
      I totally agree with you genius hour is so awesome!
      I cant wait for the expo and to hopefully see some really cool projects some people made 🙂
      Im working with Olivia we are doing it about helping the enviornment!
      I hope you can come around and see ours!

4. Miss Gorman says:

Year 5/6,
    Can’t wait to come in on Wednesday and see all your Genius Hour presentations. I am really excited to see what it is you have all learnt during Genius Hour this term. Should be a really fun afternoon!
    Miss Gorman

5. Georgia says:

Hi Angel,
    Wow you sound like you’re really excited, I am too. It is a great opportunity to share our learning with parents, teachers and students. I can’t wait to see all the projects. I hope all goes well with your project. Good luck!!

Bye,
    From Georgia:):):):):)

6. Noa says:

Hi angel it’s Noa,

I think you are defiantly right I was defiantly exited to show my project and it turns out to be a success. A lot of people showed up and look at people’s projects including mine! A lot of people put lots of effort into there projects and finished. My project was on How can we teach people how to make a game on scratch, I had a game out that I made on scratch and people liked it a lot I also had my presentation out as well as the videos that I filmed with Chris and Vincent to show people how to make a game on scratch. In conclusion I had lots of fun persenting my work.

From: Noa

7. Ella says:

Hi everyone!

It is a new grade 5 here for 2014. I have heard lots of great things about Genius Hour and I wanted to ask some of the grade 6’s for 2014 what Genius Hour is like.

1. What were some of the positive things about Genius Hour?
    2. What were some of the negative thing about Genius Hour?
    3. Do you get to chose your own topic?
    4. If you do get to chose your own topic, what would you chose?
    5. Do you dislike it or do you like it?

Thanks for answering these questions for me!

From Ella. Bye! 🙂